Rats

For research, impressions, concerns and other related aspects of minimising weeds and pest issues using peppers and remedies.
lotus eater

Rats

I have a question regarding using a rat pepper to rid our current rat problem, we have had a pest control agent attempt this with baiting in boxes, however the rats are not eager to feed in the boxes, we can not bait out side of the boxes as we have dogs and to be honest dont like the idea of using any poison at all but the rats are forcing us to take drastic approaches.

My thoughts are to make a pepper, though am curious to Know if it needs to be made from a rat that is local to our garden or can I use a frozen lab rat which can be purchased for feeding such animals as reptiles and birds of prey?

Is it possible to purchase a ready made pepper for rat control?

Thanks In advance

Jed
Mark
Site Admin

Re: Rats

Hello Jed

Rats take a while to get used to new things. It's rare for them to jump into the traps until they have been there a while. On the other hand rats are creatures of habit so if they have been there in the past then they will visit again and again. Our local ratcatcher says that rats still come to a place where there were chickens years before. Interesting creatures.

You asked if you need a local rat. I don't know. We made a very successful squirrel pepper from road kill squirrel and it has had success about 15 miles away. I would suggest local is best but that's prejudice rather than something I can back up.

I have a rat pepper that was made about 10 years ago in Gloucestershire in SW UK. You would be welcome to try that but I have not got any testimonials about it.

We had bad rat problems around our own ducks. We have sorted it quite dramatically using a remedy called mouse and rat repellant: http://considera.org/materiamedicagricu ... =2&rem=176

Other interesting remedies : go to http://considera.org/hrxmatmed.html?page=search and put in 'rats' and you can also try Allium Cepa and/or mentha viridis

Whatever you do try please let us know how you get on.

Mark
lotus eater

Thank You for your reply Mark.

I may give it a go with a lab rat and see if this has an effect... whats to loose?

will keep you updated.

Jed
lotus eater

Mark
is there some way I could contact you and talk one on one regarding my situation and the possibilities of trying the rat pepper you mentioned you had from some time back?

many thanks
Jed
Mark
Site Admin

Sure. I'll send you a private message with contact details.

Mark
CHRIS

Dear Jed,
Re your rats. Last year we had an infestation of moles. I got the mole catcher in eventually and asked for three of the carcasses. These I burned on a wood fire in the garden and then, after stirring the ash about spread it over the garden and field where we have horses. To begin with it seemed to make a little difference, but they were still digging. Now, it may be too soon to tell, but this year so far, we have had two very pathetic digs while our neighbour's field right next door is simply covered. I spread the ash over roughly two acres of ground, concentrating on the mole areas.
I know they are not rats and behave very differently, my point is the time element.
Best wishes,
Chris.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic